Director of Public Relations
LOCATION: NEW YORK
Universal Standard is looking for a Director of Public Relations to lead all public relations functions. We are looking for a non-traditional, outside-the-box thinker who will own both the strategy and execution of Universal Standard’s messaging roadmap and all product and category launches for all internal and external communications. An ideal candidate has a breadth of experience in public relations – ideally working in a fast-paced startup environment with a strong brand voice - and is excited to leverage their pre-existing network and continue to build relationships with influencers and the media as an ambassador of the brand. A successful Director will proactively generate and disperse Universal Standard’s narrative that is creative and consistent across traditional and new media channels. While pitching media is an important aspect of this role, we value innovative thinking, strong strategy development skills and execution with minimal oversight above all.
- Lead all PR activities, proactively create, implement and manage feature strategy aligned with company image, focusing on the development of features across the brand.
- Develop comprehensive strategies surrounding all of our launches and initiatives.
- Lead and execute media strategies at the highest level in, among other things, press, social and influencer networks with minimal oversight.
- Creates features to target applicable audiences and maximize brand visibility through innovative, brand elevating stories.
- Help establish Universal Standard as the industry leader and innovator in the space and position the founders as thought leaders in the space
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with key editors, online media, bloggers and brand ambassadors.
- Develop messaging strategy and positioning for the 3 key constituents: consumer, media and industry
- Develop and lead blogger strategy with the end goal of relationship building, reaching new demographics and maximizing brand visibility via appropriate partners.
- Develop and lead schedule/pitches for business/fashion/accessory media proactive outreach.
- Develop and lead all internal communication.
- Leads media crisis management; proactively strategizes, troubleshoots and creates solutions
- Fields all press calls and responds appropriately.
- Proactively seek speaking opportunities for founders. Prepare/write press announcements, executive quotes, messaging and strategies for partnerships, investments, bios, staffing and new initiatives.
- Responsible for fashion shows/presentations/events initiatives such as interviews, media inquiries, reviews.
- Deliver consistent messaging to media outlets.
- 5+ years experience in Public Relations, Communications and/or Media Relations
- Expertise in development of media strategy
- Ability to execute strategy with minimal oversight
- Strong and established relationships with media
- Experience working and thriving in a founder-led company
- Superior writing skills for external and internal audiences
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills – has quality relationships with media
- Confident style with the ability to communicate effectively in all forms and at all levels. Manages relationships with external contacts effectively.
- Highly motivated and committed with a can-do attitude – thrives in a start-up environment with enthusiasm, high energy and a determination to deliver top class work
- Experience working with C-suite or other company executives